Welcome to our second offering of our Points of View on the classic Point Horror series of books that Chrissi Reads and I loved when we were teenagers. The book that I will be hosting is The Boyfriend by R.L. Stine and over on Chrissi’s blog will be The Babysitter, also by R.L. Stine. Hope you enjoy our trip down memory lane…
What’s it all about?:
Sometimes, love is murder.
Too bad about Dex. He was in love with Joanna. She broke up with him. And then he died.
Joanna’s sorry, of course. But it’s not her fault he’s dead, is it? Besides, she never loved him. Boys are just toys, to be used and thrown away.
But this time, Joanna’s gone too far. Because Dex is back. From the dead. For one last date with her….
Beth’s Points of View
- I still remember when I first got this book – being in the bookshop and physically shivering with excitement at the last line of the synopsis (see above). I just had to have it.
- It made my emotions slide all over the place – can I really feel sorry for such a hideous character?
- The cover art is beautiful, I still love it to this day. It’s probably one of my favourite Point Horror covers.
- I think it throws a few teenage dilemmas at the reader – friendship, how to treat people, the difference between a joke/lesson and one taken potentially too far and of course boys.
Chrissi’s Points of View
- The beginning of the book really sets the scene. I immediately disliked the main protagonist, but that didn’t affect my enjoyment of the story! I loved to hate her!
- The other characters in this book are fantastic.
- It’s an incredibly atmospheric piece of writing. I was gripped throughout.
- The Boyfriend is a lot creepier than I remember!
For our Points of View on The Babysitter by R.L. Stine, please see Chrissi’s blog HERE.
Would WE recommend it?:
BETH: But of course!
CHRISSI: Of course!
BETH’s Star Rating (out of 5):
CHRISSI’s Star Rating (out of 5):